INSALATA D’ORZO CON LIMONE
250 ml (1 cup) pearl barley
500 ml (2 cups) chicken or vegetable broth
½ green pepper, cubed
½ red pepper, cubed
1 green onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
15 ml (1 tablespoon) canola or sunflower oil
250 ml (1 cup) frozen corn kernels
250 ml (1 cup) fresh Italian parsley, chopped
30 ml (2 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
Juice and zest of one lemon
15 ml (1 tbsp) honey
Salt and pepper to taste
Fruit slices to garnish (optional)
1. In a saucepan, add pearl barley and broth. Bring to a boil.
2. Cook over medium-low heat for 35-40 minutes, or until the broth is completely absorbed by the pearl barley, and the pearl barley is tender.
3. Set aside cooked pearl barley in a bowl and refrigerate.
4. Meanwhile, sauté peppers, green onion and garlic with canola oil in a skillet for 3 to 5 minutes, or until peppers are tender.
5. Add frozen corn and continue cooking for 5 minutes over medium heat, just enough to warm the corn.
6. In a salad bowl, mix the cooked vegetables with the chilled pearl barley.
7. Add chopped parsley, olive oil, lemon juice and zest, honey, then salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve with fruit for an additional dose of vitamins!
Pro tip: choose a cooking oil that tolerates heat well. Canola or sunflower oils are the best choices.
Created by Geneviève Nadeau, Nutritionist and Director of Food and Nutrition for Pacini